Health Happens in Libraries
Support for Libraries Responding to Health Information Needs
Health Happens in Libraries is a program to improve public library eHealth services and increase library staff capacity to respond to patron requests for information regarding the Affordable Care Act.
Libraries have a long history of meeting public demand for consumer health information. A recent IMLS study showed that an estimated 37 percent of library computer users (28 million people) use library computers and seek assistance from librarians for health and wellness issues, including learning about medical conditions, finding health care providers, and assessing health insurance options.
- Health Happens in Libraries acknowledges the growing intersection of digital technologies and individual health management (eHealth), and the opportunities for libraries to provide digital access to health information in their communities.
- Health Happens in Libraries connects library staff with the resources they need to develop a strategy for responding to patron requests regarding the Affordable Care Act in the way that makes the most sense for their communities.
- Opportunities to get involved, either through signing up for regular resource updates, or sharing your story and questions with program staff directly.
- Access to our latest project news, including profiles of libraries working to address local eHealth needs and announcements regarding new resource or partnership opportunities.
- Information on upcoming and archived webinars, where libraries and other community-based health and wellness representatives can share their knowledge and experience.
- A growing repository of eHealth and ACA resources, including examples of related content produced by state and public libraries nationwide.
Most Recently Added
Webinar / Last Modified: 21 August 2014
This webinar will provide an overview of the 2015 open enrollment period and review opportunities to connect community members to marketplace information through library service priorities and partnerships.
News / Last Modified: 20 August 2014
The recently published 2013 Digital Inclusion Survey Report reveals some key features about public libraries in USA and how they serve their communities. Funded by the IMLS (Institute of Museum and Library Services) and conducted by the American Libr...
News / Last Modified: 19 August 2014
It is well known by now that community-based organizations were instrumental in enrolling more than eight million people in the health insurance marketplaces established as part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) during the first open enrollment period...
News / Last Modified: 04 August 2014
In June 2014, the Health Happens in Libraries team met with representatives from the State Library of Ohio to learn more about their experiences with supporting Ohio libraries during the initial health insurance marketplace enrollment period establis...
News / Last Modified: 31 July 2014
Members of the Health Happens in Libraries team met with Pennsylvania library representatives at the Bureau of State Library of Pennsylvania in June 2014 to better understand their experience of supporting libraries during the first rollout of the he...