Health Happens in Libraries
Support for Libraries Responding to Health Information Needs
Health Happens in Libraries is a program to improve public library eHealth services and increase library staff capacity to respond to patron requests for information regarding the Affordable Care Act.
Libraries have a long history of meeting public demand for consumer health information. A recent IMLS study showed that an estimated 37 percent of library computer users (28 million people) use library computers and seek assistance from librarians for health and wellness issues, including learning about medical conditions, finding health care providers, and assessing health insurance options.
- Health Happens in Libraries acknowledges the growing intersection of digital technologies and individual health management (eHealth), and the opportunities for libraries to provide digital access to health information in their communities.
- Health Happens in Libraries connects library staff with the resources they need to develop a strategy for responding to patron requests regarding the Affordable Care Act in the way that makes the most sense for their communities.
- Opportunities to get involved, either through signing up for regular resource updates, or sharing your story and questions with program staff directly.
- Access to our latest project news, including profiles of libraries working to address local eHealth needs and announcements regarding new resource or partnership opportunities.
- Information on upcoming and archived webinars, where libraries and other community-based health and wellness representatives can share their knowledge and experience.
- A growing repository of eHealth and ACA resources, including examples of related content produced by state and public libraries nationwide.
Most Recently Added
Webinar / Last Modified: 04 April 2014
In this Health Happens in Libraries webinar, learn how public libraries can leverage their technology infrastructure to better serve the health information needs of patrons.
News / Last Modified: 01 April 2014The initial open enrollment period for the health insurance marketplace established as part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is at an end, but the assessment of lessons learned is just beginning for many library and community partner organizations en...
News / Last Modified: 31 March 2014
As the first enrollment period comes to a close, we'll continue to share resources for ongoing efforts.
Webinar / Last Modified: 27 March 2014
A webinar with WebJunction and ZeroDivide exploring inventive patron and partner engagement approaches which have been implemented by libraries in conjunction with the initial open enrollment period of the Affordable Care Act.
News / Last Modified: 25 March 2014When I think of a medical library, I'm taken back to my undergraduate days studying medical history and ethics. Navigating the labyrinth-like halls of the health sciences building adjacent to the university hospital, I'd make my way to the library an...